Your physician and the Lakelands Family Health Team staff are bound by law and ethics to safeguard your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
- -collecting only the information that may be necessary for your care;
- -keeping accurate and up-to-date records;
- -safeguarding the medical records in our possession;
- -sharing information with other health-care providers and organizations on a “need to know” basis where required for your health care;
- -disclosing information to third parties only with your express consent, or when necessary for legal reasons; and
- retaining/destroying records in accordance with the law.
Your request for care implies consent for our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related to your care. As noted above, other purposes require your express consent.
You have the right to see your records. You may also obtain copies of your records (please see the receptionist for our fees for this service). Please speak to your physician if you have concerns about the accuracy of your records.